Do you have a cabinet that you never use? Why not turn it into a built in humidor? In this blog post, we will discuss how to do just that!
Built in humidors are a great way to save money, and they’re easier than you might think.
We will provide detailed instructions on how to make built in humidors, and we will also discuss the benefits of doing so.
Stay tuned for more information!
Turning a Cabinet into a Humidor
If you’re a cigar lover, you know that cigars need to be stored in a humidor to stay fresh.
But what if you don’t have the space for a separate humidor? Or the money for a new one?
Can you turn a cabinet into a humidor?
As long as you pay close attention to the proportions in your humidors plans, you can transform practically any piece of furniture into a humidor.
The Proper Proportions for a Humidor
Built in humidors are great as long as you remember that cigar boxes will not fit in pieces thinner than 22 inches (55 cm).
A depth of fewer than 14 inches (35 cm) will also be a problem, as the humidification system needs enough space to pump air up to the humidor’s ceiling from its position against the back wall.
Basically, cigar boxes must not hinder this “air shaft.”
Furthermore, there should be at least 0.8 inches of space between the rear of closed doors and trays or boxes (20 mm).
The width and depth of a piece of furniture should be at least 24 inches (60 cm) and 14 inches (35 cm), respectively.
Steps to Transform Your Cabinet Into a Humidor
Built in humidors may sound complicated, but they’re not as difficult as it might sound.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take:
- Find a cabinet that is large enough to store all of your cigars. Make sure the cabinet has tight-fitting doors and good seals. You don’t want any air leaks!
- Remove everything from the inside of the cabinet. This includes shelves, drawers, and anything else that is removable.
- Line the inside of the cabinet with cedar. Cedar is known for its ability to absorb moisture. You can find cedar lining at most home improvement stores.
- Install a humidifier. There are a variety of humidifiers on the market, so choose one that best fits your needs.
- Add your cigars and close the doors! Check the humidity level periodically to make sure it stays where it needs to be.
See a $15,000 custom-built walk-in humidor in the video below!
Read More: Spanish Cedar Humidors. Learn all about Spanish cedar and why it’s the best for humidors!
Built-in Humidor Advantages
Built-in humidors definitely have their advantages.
- Built-in humidors can be customized to any size and shape.
- They offer greater climate control than standalone units, which means your cigars will stay fresher for longer.
- They can be designed to match the décor of your home or office.
Read More: How to Keep Cigars Fresh. Here are our favorite tips and tricks for keeping your cigars fresh!
Articles You Might Enjoy Reading