Do you know how many bottles of wine are in a case? If not, you’re not alone!
In fact, there is no standard answer to this question because it can vary depending on the type of wine and the size of the bottle.
However, we will do our best to provide an answer that is as accurate as possible. Read on to see how many bottles are in a case of various-sized wine bottles.
How Many Bottles of Wine Are in a Case?
Generally speaking, most red wines, which tend to be bottled in large 750ml bottles, the standard case contains 12 bottles.
However, most white and sparkling wines come in smaller 375 ml bottles and are often packaged in six-bottle cases.
Champagne splits, or mini bottles, usually come in cases of 12, but they are often sold in large cases of 24 for event planning and gifting.
Additionally, some high-end vintages may be offered in larger bottles such as magnums or double magnums, which contain two or four times as much wine as standard bottles.
These are almost always single-packed.
Overall, while there is no strict “standard” when it comes to a case of wine, most cases contain somewhere between 6 and 12 bottles.
5 Reasons to Calculate How Many Bottles of Wine Are in a Case
There are 5 reasons why it can be important to know how many bottles of wine are in a case.
Here are 5 of the most important ones:
- It can help you budget for your wine purchases. If you’re trying to stick to a budget, knowing how many bottles are in a case can help you better calculate how much money you’ll need to spend.
- If you’re planning for a party or event, knowing how many bottles of wine you’ll get per case is important for buying enough for all your guests.
- Knowing how many bottles are in a case can give you a better idea of how long your wine will last. If you only drink wine on special occasions, buying a smaller case may be better.
- It can help you choose the right type of wine. Some wines are better suited for cellaring than others. If you’re planning on aging your wine, choosing a larger case size may be necessary so you enjoy it longer once it’s ready for drinking.
- You get the best deals on wine you like. Many retailers offer discounts on cases of wine, so knowing how many bottles are in a case can help you snag a great deal.
The only way to be sure how many bottles of wine there are in a case is to check the product listing or ask the liquor store clerk to double-check before you buy or order.
How Do I Choose the Right Case of Wine?
Now that you know how many bottles of wine are in a case, here are 5 questions to answer before you buy a case of wine.
- Consider your budget: How much money do you want to spend on a case of wine? Keep in mind that prices can vary significantly depending on the type of wine and the quality.
- Think about how much wine you need: Do you need a large case for a party or event? Or would a smaller case suffice?
- Consider how long you want your wine to last: If you’re planning on cellaring your wine, you’ll need to choose a larger case size.
- Choose the right type of wine: Not all wines are created equal. Make sure to choose a type of wine that is suited for your needs and preferences.
- Look for deals and discounts: Many retailers offer discounts on cases of wine, so it pays to shop around.
Wondering what type of wine to choose for your event? The wine you choose will determine how much it costs per case!
Check out this short video to learn some tips and tricks for choosing event wine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How Do You Store Cases of Wine Once They’ve Been Opened?
A: If you’re planning on storing your wine for an extended period of time, it’s important to know how to properly store it.
Here are 3 tips:
- Store your wine in a cool, dark place: Ideally, you should store your wine in a temperature-controlled environment and away from UV light. Use a built in wine cooler to store wine bottles perfectly.
- Use proper ventilation: Make sure that your storage area has adequate ventilation to prevent the build-up of mold and mildew.
- Remove bottles from the box and store them on their sides: A dark basement is perfect for storing wine. Place bottles in wine racks to keep the corks from drying. Check out these best wine racks for product recommendations.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your wine will be properly stored and will last for an extended period of time.
Q: How Do I Calculate How Many Bottles of Wine to Buy?
A: People who ask this are usually trying to plan for an event. A standard serving of wine is 5oz.
Most people pour more than that, so expect to get only about 4 glasses per bottle of wine.
If you are using the wine only for toasting, you can count on a single serving per guest. If your guests will want to drink more, plan on 2 servings per guest, at least.
If your guests are known to get drunk, plan on 1 bottle per guest. Calculate the number of cases you purchase accordingly.
Before you calculate the number of cases of wine to buy, you must confirm how many bottles of wine are in the case.
We’ve given the usual case amounts, but they can vary between wineries.