It’s a common question for cigar smokers: do cigars expire and how long do they last?
While it’s true that cigars don’t go bad in the same way that other perishables do, they do change over time.
That said, cigars can last for years if they’re properly cared for. With a little bit of effort, you can keep your cigars fresh and enjoyable for a long time to come.
In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about the shelf life of cigars.
Do Cigars Expire?
Cigars don’t necessarily expire, but they can lose flavor and freshness over time if they aren’t stored properly.
Ultimately, cigars can be compared to wine in the sense that they will be more flavorful and strong as they sit.
Cigars do not have an expiration date as other products might, but it’s essential to store them in a cigar cooler or humidor.
With that being said, the answer to this is that cigars don’t expire, but they are likely to lose their taste and freshness if they aren’t stored properly while they aren’t being used.
Tips On How To Extend the Life Of Your Cigars
Now that we’ve answered the question, “do cigars expire?” it’s time to talk about how you can keep your cigars fresh for as long as possible.
As we said, they don’t expire but it’s important to know how to keep them as fresh as possible.
Here are a few tips:
- Store your cigars in a humidor: This is by far the best way to keep your cigars fresh. A cigar humidor is a special box that’s designed to maintain the perfect level of humidity for cigars.
- Keep your cigars away from light and heat: Cigars should be stored in a cool, dark place. Avoid storing them in direct sunlight or near a heat source.
- Don’t store your cigars in the fridge: Many people think that storing cigars in the fridge will keep them fresh longer. However, this is a myth. Cigars are sensitive to temperature changes, and the cold air in the fridge can dry them out.
- Inspect your cigars regularly: Even if you’re storing your cigars properly, it’s important to check on them from time to time. Take a look at the wrappers and see if they’re cracked or dry.
Here’s a great video showing how long your cigars will last outside of a humidor:
How Long Do Cigars Last?
There is no definitive answer to this question because it depends on several factors, including the type of cigar, how it’s stored, and how it’s cared for.
However, if you follow the tips above, you can expect your cigars to last for months, if not years.
Do keep in mind that cigars do change over time. They may become drier, more brittle, and less flavorful as they age.
However, if you’re careful about how you store and care for your cigars, so you can enjoy them for a long time.
Ways To Identify A Cigar That Has Gone Bad
Although cigars don’t exactly expire, they can “go bad” or not be of the best quality that they were before. It’s quite easy for you to tell if a cigar has gone bad.
Here are a few signs to look for:
- The cigar is dry: A dry cigar will feel brittle and may crack when you bend it. The wrapper may also start to peel away from the cigar.
- The cigar is cracked: Cracks in the wrapper can cause the cigar to unravel when you smoke it.
- The cigar has no flavor: If a cigar has lost its flavor, it’s probably past its prime.
- The cigar is hard to light: A dry cigar may be difficult to light and may burn unevenly.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s probably best to ditch the cigar. However, if the cigar is only slightly dry, you may be able to revive it by storing it in a humidor for a few days.
What Is Plume?
Plume, sometimes known as bloom, is something that you might notice on your aging cigars.
It’s a white powdery substance that will appear on your cigars during the aging process. It’s very normal and it usually can be wiped off very easily.
Your cigars are safe to smoke even with having plume on them. It’s not to be confused with mold.
If your cigars have mold on them then this is NOT safe to smoke and they should be discarded as soon as possible.
Q: Do Cigars Go Bad If Sealed?
A: No, cigars do not go bad if sealed. However, it’s important to check on them from time to time and make sure that they’re not drying out.
Q: How Do You Know If A Cigar Is Too Old?
A: There is no ideal answer to this query because it relies on several factors, including the type of cigar, how it’s stored, and how it’s cared for.
However, if a cigar is dry, cracked, or has no flavor, it’s presumably beyond its prime.
Q: What Happens If You Smoke A Bad Cigar?
A: If you smoke a bad cigar, you may experience several unpleasant symptoms, including nausea, headaches, and stomach pain. You may also find that the cigar tastes bitter or unpleasant.
Q: Can A Cigar Last For Twenty Years?
A: A cigar can last for twenty years, but it depends on how it’s stored and cared for.
Cigars don’t exactly expire but they must be stored and used properly in order to last a long time while keeping their freshness.
Inspect your cigars regularly, and if they start to portray manifestations of age, smoke them sooner rather than later.