Can Dogs Have Wine? (The TRUTH About Dogs & Booze)

Can dogs have wine? Is it safe for dogs to drink wine? These are the questions that many dog owners ask, and the answer is important to know before letting your dog imbibe.

Some dog owners want to give wine and other alcoholic beverages to dogs because they think it’s funny.

Other times, especially around the holidays, dogs can get into alcohol-laden desserts.

Should you be worried if your dog has had wine or other alcoholic beverages or spirits? Read on to find out the quick answers and more.

Can Dogs Have Wine?

Don't give dogs any amount of wine
Keep your wine to yourself. Even a little can poison your dog.

No, dogs can’t have any amount of wine or any other alcoholic beverage. Dogs and cats are extremely susceptible to ethanol poisoning.

Ethanol is found in all alcoholic beverages, sanitizers, and mouthwash.

If your dog has had only a little, the effects will wear off with time.

However, signs of ethanol poisoning include disorientation, lethargy, increased urination and thirst, seizures, unconsciousness, and paralysis.

If a dog with ethanol poisoning doesn’t receive emergency veterinary treatment the result could be death.

Why Can’t Dogs Have Wine?

While it’s comforting to believe that our four-legged companions can partake in all of the activities that we humans love, wine is one area where we must draw the line for our pets, including dogs.

To begin with, wine is made from grapes, which, like chocolate, are extremely toxic to several canine species.

Grape toxicity can lead to kidney failure, so it’s a good idea to keep all grape products away from your dog.

Ethanol poisoning can occur from any type of alcohol, regardless of grape content.

So never give your dog beer, vodka, rum, cider, or any other alcoholic beverage. The result could be deadly.

Is Wine Enticing To Dogs?

In general, dogs are not attracted to any sort of alcoholic beverage, including wine.

They may be attracted to the yeasty smell to see what it is and possibly give it a taste, but most animals are repelled by the strong ethanol taste.

However, sometimes alcohol is disguised by cream, such as Bailey’s, or inside a heavily alcoholic dessert.

In this case, the dog may not taste the ethanol flavor and consume a copious amount of alcohol by accident.

Can My Dog Get “Drunk?”

Dogs can't have wine
It may be a funny thought to give your dog wine or spirits, but the result could be life-threatening or deadly.

When owners allow or force dogs to drink any alcoholic beverage, the dog may become disoriented, stumble, drool, and fall asleep.

These are not signs of “drunkenness” in the human sense.

These are signs of alcohol poisoning, and the reaction that you see is organ damage occurring in your dog. Your dog can’t recover without some lasting internal effects.

Signs of severe alcohol poisoning are paralysis, seizure, and unconsciousness. The dog may die if not given emergency veterinary help.

What Do I Do If My Dog Ingests Wine by Accident?

Dogs Wine
Humans can metabolize the ethanol out of alcohol with little to no liver damage. Dogs can’t. Keep all alcohol away from dogs.

First, try to determine the severity of the situation.

One or two small sips might not be cause for concern, but more significant amounts of wine, beer, or spirits can be dangerous.

Always call your veterinarian or an animal poison control hotline for advice.

It’s better to call for no reason than let your dog die from alcohol poisoning. The vet may want to double-check that your dog is ok.

Let your dog drink as much water as needed and sleep it off. Be aware that your dog will also urinate more, which may lead to messes in the house.

There aren’t any effective home remedies you can use to treat alcohol poisoning in dogs.

If it is severe, the dog needs IV hydration, vitals monitoring, and possibly stomach pumping – things only a vet can do.

Read More: Why Does Wine Make Me Sleepy? If you’re concerned that wine makes you tired, here’s what you need to know!

The Bottom Line

Everyone knows “that” person who thinks giving booze to dogs is funny.

Let them know it isn’t funny to poison your dog and keep a sharp eye on your dog while guests are consuming alcohol.

Keep alcohol on tables, and alcoholic desserts up high.

Your dog has a fantastic nose and will be sorely tempted by alcoholic treats or alcoholic mixers that are sweet or fruity enough to disguise the alcohol – overriding the dog’s natural aversion to alcohol.

Rate this post

Leave a Comment